Friday, December 25, 2009

My little girl has eczema, tried 3 different creams. Anything else?

My 1 1/2 year old has suffered eczema for a year now, have tried Diprobase, Doublebase and a few Hydrocortizone creams. They work for a while, but then it flares up again. Is there anything else i can try? Fed up of spending my life in the doctors waiting room!|||Hi . I%26#039;ve tried various creams for my eczema. Oilatum, aqueous, E45 etc had no beneficial effect. But I tried Body Shop Aloe Vera Body Balm and it really helps. It helps to both heal eczema and stop it in it%26#039;s tracks if it%26#039;s brewing. It%26#039;s really mild and my daughter uses it as well. Hope this helps. good luck. xx





Try not to bath her every day as well. I know this can be quite tricky at that age as they get really grimey. But can help. Sadly us smellier adults don%26#039;t have that option. Haha.|||I had eczema for a while and it turned out to be an allergy/intollerance of wheat.





It was explained to me that the skin is also an excretery device and hence the reaction to the allergy.





Best of luck.|||What type of diet is she having, does she eat alot of dairy products? instead of cow%26#039;s milk try goats milk, it works for a friend of mine.|||can get stuff to put in bathy from boots e45 cream best bet ask pharmasist|||This is NOT a joke. Put uncooked porridge oats into her bath water and let her steep in the bath for 20 minutes or so. I promise you I am not kidding. I am an ex combat medic with the parachute regiment and in 1975 I was going down with hypothermia on the Breckon beacons in Wales when I found a small stable on a hillside. I slept among some bales of hay and in the morning found I had a dreadfull skin rash which would not go away. The RAMC dermatologist eventually told me to have oat baths and after one week I was completely cured. I promise you I am not Kidding.|||my son suffers from eczema i have greenline tubular bandage and dermol lotion on on permenant persciption the dermol is very good and i would reccomend it i place the bandage over the affected area then smoother dermol lotion over it let it soak in and repeat it as much as needed you can get this on persciption off your doctor trust me if you keep on top of it 3 to 4 times aday you will notice a big difference you can also was thier hair with it|||Try changing her diet, look into any kind of cleaning stuff you use in your house. Let her skin breath as much as you can, don%26#039;t keep it covered, no matter how ugly it looks. To be honest I don%26#039;t think any cream cures it, but it helps to keep it well moiturised. Oat baths (soaking a ball of oats wrapped in a hanky) helped my daughter.|||Try to always dress her in natural fibres, i.e. linen or cotton. Hopefully if it is infantile excema she will grow out of it|||I was covered in eczema as a child , especially in elbow creases. It lasted 20 years, until I discovered my mold allergy and food intolerances. Because of my sensitivities to mold and dust (dust mites), I have to change my t-shirts and underwear daily, and pillowcases. and My primary offender in foods was dairy products.


And watch out for feathers ( feather pillows) and dusty blankets and carpets. Mold allergies can cause severe eczema.|||that must be really frustrating for you and her!!





keep a cold compress on it to help with the itching and natural yoghurt is known to sooth the skin and heal irritations like sunburn, you might as well give it a go on the excema!


i wish i had more info to help you!!








good luck!|||may be you just havent%26quot; spotted %26quot;the write one.|||try adding some %26quot;oilatum%26quot; to her bathwater. My son had eczema as a baby,so i tried this for a few weeks and it cleared up the condition completely.|||Here is a list of do%26#039;s and don%26#039;ts that I hope you will find helpful.





Things not to do:-





Don%26#039;t use biological powders


Don%26#039;t use fabric softeners


Don%26#039;t use soap or detergents to wash with


Don%26#039;t use standard shower gels or bath additives





Things to do :-





Try Fairy Snow -the old fashioned powder


Use dryer balls


Use a soap free cleanser to wash hands etc.


Use a moisturising shower gel like Oilatum


Use a moisture bath additive like Aveeno


Use a good moisturiser like Aveeno


Use it very frequently, you can%26#039;t over-moisturise!


Use antihistamines for itch, a non sedative one like loratidine in the morning and a sedative one such piriton at night.


You may need to use steroids creams/ointments for flare up areas. Use the mildest you can, for the shortest time possible.





Sorry if you knew all of that already :-(|||Go to the Chinese herbal shops. Pay no never minds to the thumbs down. This is the best place for eczema.|||Honey, try to avoid steroid-based creams at all costs! Most children grow out of eczema and you girl will most likely do too. If she scratches - make her wear cotton gloves. If her skin is dry - use Vaseline. Find out if it is triggered by some allergen or other and avoid same. If you must use ointments - try anti-eczema cream from http://www.champori.com It is herbal and it cleared my condition in just under 3 weeks. But I%26#039;m an adult and don%26#039;t know if it is that effective for young kids.


Best,


Bernadette|||I used to use emuvate cream.


Aqueous cream is very good.


Also try using E45 cream.|||head and shoulders try to find one not stinging so you dont hurt the babys eyes|||Stay off dairy product such as strong cheese as this has been known to have an effect as also full fat milk. However these are essential to a growing child so just cut down and not cut out. Try Zinc and Castor oil cream. this is a fairly old remedy but when I had it as a child it worked fairly well. The only comfort I can give you and your young one is that as it is there when young, one does grow out of it. My Grandson had it very bad between 4years and 10 but now at 13 it has gone and the passing of it was not even noticed.|||If they work for a time then keep using one of them, Diprobase is good as a moisturiser as it has no active ingredients. But keep using it, it isn%26#039;t a cure but it does relieve the skin. As well as that you need to find Out and manage or eliminate the cause. Hydrocortisone also has it%26#039;s place in a big flare up so don%26#039;t dismiss that one either.





For those recommending other creams I can only assume you don%26#039;t have a child with eczema! E45, aqueous cream etc make some skin much worse. You could try avoiding anything with sodium laureth sulphate, sodium lauryl sulphate etc they are common irritants. Stop using soap, bath in warm/ cool water. Check clothes for any irritating materials, avoid wool, wash clothes in machine and double rinse, don%26#039;t use fabric conditioner. Sorry if you%26#039;ve been through all this already.





Don%26#039;t start cutting out foods without advice and frankly, more than eczema as a symptom, as cutting out food groups for such a small child is dangerous unless replaced with other foods under good supervision.





Eliminate the obvious then try any other therapy that you think will work! But don%26#039;t forget to pester and pester your child%26#039;s GP for referrals and other treatments. If you don%26#039;t ask you don%26#039;t get.,|||You couldlook at her diet, my stepdaughter has eczema and alot of hers was down to dairy products. Check if there are any tests she can have done as she is so young. Often certain foods can be a cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment